Translocation of Bison Vote Delayed/Canceled


The following article is from the Associated Press:

BILLINGS — Montana wildlife officials have delayed a vote on the relocation of up to 160 Yellowstone National Park bison onto state or tribal lands after ranchers voiced objections.

State wildlife chief Ken McDonald said Wednesday that a vote on the relocation that was planned for next week has been canceled. McDonald said it is undecided whether the topic will be revisited in December by Montana’s Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission.

The delay throws into doubt a key first step in an ambitious plan to establish new herds of North America’s largest land animal outside the confines of Yellowstone.

Ranchers who spoke at recent public hearings on the relocation said they were worried about bison damaging their fields and spreading disease to cattle. Conservation groups support the relocation plan.

To view the contents on, go to:

Source:  Associated Press

Posted by Haylie Shipp


Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x